Thieves target charity farm scheme
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A charity set up to support people with mental health and drug and alcohol issues has suffered a double blow after its fund-raising shop and its community farm were broken in to.
Waveney Community Care Farm in Stirrups Lane, Corton was targeted by thieves some time between 6pm on Tuesday (August 9) and 8am yesterday morning (Wednesday, August 10).
Entry was forced into a shed and a yellow generator and garden tools including a chainsaw and strimmer were stolen.
The charity's founder Hanif Jaffer said he believed the stolen equipment was worth about £1,200.
It comes after the charity's shop in Pier Terrace was burgled overnight on Saturday (August 6).
You may also want to watch:
Hundreds of pounds worth of damage was caused when the front door was smashed with an iron grate and the shop was ransacked.
A small amount of cash, believed to be about £8, was taken.
- 1 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 Woman hurt in hit-and-run crash near school
- 4 Disabled driver fined £60 for stopping to clean windscreen at hospital
- 5 Firefighters ripping out thatch to stop house fire spreading
- 6 UEA scientist warns against surge vaccination to combat Indian variant
- 7 Pub ordered to pay £23.5k compensation to sacked disabled worker
- 8 WATCH: Demolition of landmark seaside hotel
- 9 Gunn and Walton on City watch list as Nyland future remains unclear
- 10 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
Police are now appealing for witnesses to both crimes. They also want to hear from anyone who saw any suspicious activity or vehicles near to the farm in Stirrups Lane at the time of the burglary.
Contact Suffolk Police on 101 quoting reference 37/49303/16 in relation to the farm burglary or reference 48684/16 to provide information about the break in at the shop.
Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or through their anonymous online form at www.crimestoppers-uk.