Thetford Grammar School pupils name cuckoo who will help build up knowledge of the species
- Credit: Archant
Students at Thetford Grammar School (TGS) have named a cuckoo who will help discover why the iconic bird is disappearing from the countryside.
Tagged in Thetford Forest, Boris has Slavic origins meaning fighter.
He was fitted with a satellite tag by the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO) which will allow them and the pupils to follow his journey to Africa.
Bonita Johnston, of the BTO, said,'We are thrilled that TGS have got behind our Cuckoo tracking project and have given this bird such a characterful name.
'A lot can happen between here and central Africa but we will follow Boris' every move and hope he lives up to his name as a fighter.
You may also want to watch:
'The information he provides will help build on our knowledge of what Cuckoos do when outside of the UK and we wish him a safe journey.'
To follow Boris and the 10 other satellite tagged cuckoos click here
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Man seriously injured after crash
- 3 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 4 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 5 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 6 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 7 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 8 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 9 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 10 Minke whale washes up on beach