Thetford Grammar School pupils name cuckoo who will help build up knowledge of the species
- Credit: Archant
Students at Thetford Grammar School (TGS) have named a cuckoo who will help discover why the iconic bird is disappearing from the countryside.
Tagged in Thetford Forest, Boris has Slavic origins meaning fighter.
He was fitted with a satellite tag by the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO) which will allow them and the pupils to follow his journey to Africa.
Bonita Johnston, of the BTO, said,'We are thrilled that TGS have got behind our Cuckoo tracking project and have given this bird such a characterful name.
'A lot can happen between here and central Africa but we will follow Boris' every move and hope he lives up to his name as a fighter.
You may also want to watch:
'The information he provides will help build on our knowledge of what Cuckoos do when outside of the UK and we wish him a safe journey.'
To follow Boris and the 10 other satellite tagged cuckoos click here
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 3 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 4 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 5 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 6 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 7 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 8 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 9 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 10 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital