Thetford gardening project’s bid for Tesco cash
- Credit: Archant
A volunteer-run Thetford gardening scheme is one of three projects across the county to feature in the latest Bags of Help scheme in Tesco stores.
The grant scheme uses money raised from the 5p bag charge.
The programme at Charles Burrell Centre will see volunteers learn useful skills such as gardening, landscaping and growing crops.
Centre manager Mark Snowdon said: 'Being able to grow produce to consume or sell will also provide a lifeline for those in need of support. The volunteers will also help complete grounds maintenance tasks around the centre to improve communal spaces making the centre more attractive for visitors and users.'
Customers at 10 Tesco stores, including the two in Thetford, will be presented with tokens to be placed into one of three voting units within the shop.
The project that receives the most votes will receive a grant of up to £5,000, second place up to £2,000 and third place up to £1,000.
Voting is open until April 30.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 3 Passengers angry after train heading to Norwich delayed for hours
- 4 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 5 Covid restrictions played part in father's death, inquest told
- 6 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 7 'My life has been plagued by fly-tipping for a year - I need it to stop'
- 8 Woman arrested after man hit with a broom in city centre
- 9 Norwich independent school named one of best in East Anglia
- 10 Arrests after woman held hostage in home containing drugs and samurai sword