Thetford gardening project’s bid for Tesco cash
- Credit: Archant
A volunteer-run Thetford gardening scheme is one of three projects across the county to feature in the latest Bags of Help scheme in Tesco stores.
The grant scheme uses money raised from the 5p bag charge.
The programme at Charles Burrell Centre will see volunteers learn useful skills such as gardening, landscaping and growing crops.
Centre manager Mark Snowdon said: 'Being able to grow produce to consume or sell will also provide a lifeline for those in need of support. The volunteers will also help complete grounds maintenance tasks around the centre to improve communal spaces making the centre more attractive for visitors and users.'
Customers at 10 Tesco stores, including the two in Thetford, will be presented with tokens to be placed into one of three voting units within the shop.
You may also want to watch:
The project that receives the most votes will receive a grant of up to £5,000, second place up to £2,000 and third place up to £1,000.
Voting is open until April 30.
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 4 Pretty thatched cafe on Broads up for sale for £75,000
- 5 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 6 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 7 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 8 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 9 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 10 Child groomer caught by seven paedophile hunter groups