Thetford food factory fire leads to 270 staff being evacuated from building
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of workers had to be evacuated from a major Thetford employer after a fire broke out in a ceiling.
The fire at the 2 Sisters Food Group factory in Caxton Way today saw 270 workers leave their posts after the fire was reported at 3.07pm.
The fire started in insulation in a ceiling above a production line and saw the Norfolk and Fire Rescue Service send about 40 firefighters to the scene.
Firefighters had to work in cramped conditions in a roof void to put out the blaze with crews leaving the scene by 7pm.
270 2 Sisters staff were evacuated from the building and fire crews from Thetford, Diss, Attleborough, Earlham and Bury St Edmunds were called out.
You may also want to watch:
The 2 Sister's website says the £30m Caxton Way site is involved with UK poultry and fish.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 8 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 9 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way
- 10 Holiday homes bid for site of former landmark hotel