Thetford Boxing Club is fighting fit after two months in training
- Credit: Stuart Clay
A new sports club which has welcomed more than 100 members since opening two months ago is appealing for sponsorship.
Thetford Boxing Club opened its doors at the end of September and has been bolstered by great public support, with its junior and senior training sessions regularly hosting up to 35 members.
Head coach Matthew Dean and his coaching staff are welcoming young people from a wide variety of backgrounds to the coaching sessions – including an encouragingly large number of girls.
Mr Dean said: 'I am over the moon. The sessions in the gym have been brilliant. We have so many people coming in – including some regular faces now too.'
The gym's team are also working with eight squad boxers, who are actively looking for matches in upcoming shows.
After intense sparring sessions with boxers from other local clubs, at the gym in Thetford and at other clubs, the squad is raring to go and Mr Dean hopes to send them out to their first bouts this month.
He said: 'Some of our individual boxers have sponsors, which helps with kit and stuff like that, but some of them will need sponsors in the future.
- 1 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
- 2 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 3 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 4 Police on hand as anti-vaccine protesters gather in city
- 5 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 6 Investigations continue after woman on mobility scooter assaults man
- 7 East Norfolk road closed with firefighters at the scene
- 8 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 9 Hope for WASPI women as MPs back compensation call
- 10 Banksy work removed and put in museum due to local sensitivity
'We are also looking for sponsors for the club, to help with our running costs and so we the coaches can keep educating ourselves and keep moving up.'
Training sessions are held on Monday and Thursday evenings, juniors from 6pm-7pm and seniors from 7.15pm-9pm.
Fore more information, or if you are interested in becoming a sponsor for the club or an individual boxer, visit the Thetford Boxing Club Facebook page or pop into the gym at 39 Brunel Way.
The boxing club is currently running a Christmas raffle – see the Facebook page for more details.