Theatre producer Sonia Friedman believes Norwich City chairman and Strictly Come Dancing star Ed Balls could be a West End hit
- Credit: PA
The theatre producer behind Harry Potter And The Cursed Child has said that Norwich City chairman Ed Balls could transfer his Strictly Come Dancing success into a West End show.
The former shadow chancellor and his professional partner Katya Jones became fan favourites on the BBC One show, with their unique dance moves to well known songs taking them to week 10 of the competition.
During his appearance on the show, Mr Balls was praised by former opponents including David Cameron and George Osborne and he is currently taking part in the Strictly Come Dancing live tour.
Now Sonia Friedman, award-winning theatre producer behind hit West End shows including Dreamgirls and Bend It Like Beckham, said she would cast the 49-year-old 'in a heartbeat'.
She told Radio Times magazine: 'I was hooked on Strictly. I think he was everything this country needed right now: a bit of levity, not taking yourself too seriously.
'He put joy back into our culture for a few weeks and he made politicians seem real to me.'
Asked if he could star in his own production, Friedman joked: 'Ed Balls: The Musical is going to be the headline.'
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Broads pub once visited by Chelsea players shuts for good
- 3 Tributes to 'kind and caring' Norwich man with a love of chess and walking
- 4 'Like touching grim reaper's nose': Teenager lucky to be alive after crash
- 5 Norfolk's oldest woman dies, aged 110
- 6 Bid to build 70-bed care home and 24 affordable houses
- 7 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 8 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 9 Fury at bikers' who rode over dead seal pup
- 10 Fire crews called to house fire in north Norfolk
She added: 'Look, I think he should go back into politics because that's where we need him.
'But all I'm saying is, if I was doing the sort of show where there was something for Ed Balls to do, I wouldn't hesitate.
'I adored his spirit. I even voted for him (on Strictly) and I've never voted in my life before.'
• Would you go and see Ed Balls: The Musical? Let us know by commenting below.