Theatre legend Andrew Lloyd Webber visits Norwich
Music maestro Andrew Lloyd Webber paid a surprise visit to Norwich on Wednesday night for an unannounced trip to the Theatre Royal to watch The Sound of Music.
Only a handful of staff at the theatre were aware that Lord Lloyd Webber, who has produced the touring show, would be attending the matinee performance.
'The cast had no idea that I'd be visiting, but I was really keen to catch a performance and it would have spoilt it if they'd known I was coming,' he said.
'It was fantastic. Absolutely terrific – almost as good as the look on the cast's faces when they realised that I'd been watching them!'
You may also want to watch:
The stalls were alive with the sound of excited chatter as audience members spotted Lord Lloyd Webber amongst their number for yesterday's performance.
'I think a few people did clock the fact that I was there, but I did try and keep out of the way because I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag,' he said.
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 3 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 4 Key workers share 'unnecessary and frustrating' impact of panic-buying
- 5 Weird Norfolk: Is Diss Mere the waterlogged crater of an extinct volcano?
- 6 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 7 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 8 Search continues for man with knife who chased victim into KFC
- 9 Controversy reignited over 300 home scheme on edge of Norwich
- 10 Queuing for petrol - a tale as old as time
The Sound of Music, starring Verity Rushworth and Michael Praed, is at the Theatre Royal until Saturday. Call the box office on 01603 630000 for details.
For a full interview with Andrew Lloyd Webber, see Friday's EDP.