The Rose pub in Norwich gears up for fundraiser in aid of Meningitis Trust
The line-up for a Norwich pub's upcoming event in aid of The Meningitis Trust has been confirmed.
The event has been organised by 24-year-old Emma Hilling, from Lakenham, who was first diagnosed with meningitis in 2006.
After successfully fighting off the viral strain of the disease three times, she asked Dawn Hopkins, 42, landlady of The Rose pub, on Queens Road, to help organise a charity night for the charity.
As well as raising money, Emma said it was vitally important to raise awareness of the disease which, in its bacterial form, can be lethal.
The free entry event, which will be held at The Rose this Saturday night, will include live music from Dougie Archer, stand-up comedian and compere for the evening Jon Murfin and a raffle.
Dawn said: 'We want to raise as much as we can. It would be nice to get to �1,000. It will be an excellent night and everyone is really looking forward to it.
There will also be sponsored male waxing, with seven brave volunteers to be waxed on the night and sponsorship being raised for them to be waxed and even for people to 'tear a strip off'.
- 1 Man charged with murder of 19-year-old daughter
- 2 Father and son in court charged with murder of man
- 3 Father in court charged with murder of his teen daughter
- 4 Revealed: No one has paid £10,000 fines issued for breaking Covid rules
- 5 Former Norwich restaurant to be transformed into £1.5m food hall
- 6 The homeless newlyweds who have lived in their car for a year
- 7 Meet the three Norfolk businesses featured in Antiques Road Trip
- 8 Solar farm approved despite concerns over impact on neighbours
- 9 Farm launching wild camping with breakfast hampers and street food nights
- 10 Concerns raised over fate of junior school site
The fun event will also feature a request jukebox in which people can suggest songs for singer-songwriter Jon Christophers to sing during the night, in return for a donation of �1.
Over �300 has so far been raised in sponsorship of the waxing and jukebox.
Dawn added: 'Jon Christophers is an awesome singer-songwriter and he has agreed to play the kind of stuff that a serious musician like himself would normally avoid - suggestions cost a �1 donation and range from 'Remember You're A Womble' to 'Barbie Girl'.'
For more information about the charity night search for 'Norwich Bear' on Facebook or visit www.norwichbear.co.uk
Are you raising money for charity? Call reporter David Freezer on 01603 772418 or firstname.lastname@example.org