The Nutcracker stars bring extra special sparkle to Norwich store’s Christmas displays
- Credit: Steve Adams
The magical story of The Nutcracker is bringing Christmas cheer to a Norwich department store this Christmas.
Jarrold has themed its festive displays on the classic tale, and yesterday they were given an extra special sparkle when dancers from Northern Ballet's production of The Nutcracker performed in front of them.
The two dancers – Dreda Blow and Isaac Lee-Baker – are part of the cast starring in The Nutcracker at Norwich's Theatre Royal this week.
Set to the music of Tchaikovsky, the show tells the story of Clara and her family as they prepare for the excitement of Christmas amid the arrival of relatives and presents.
But one of the festive gifts – a Nutcracker Prince – turns out to be real and whisks Clara away to an exciting Winter Wonderland.
Dreda, who said she was realising a childhood dream by playing the role of the Sugar Plum Fairy, said: 'I love dancing to the music.
'It is so iconic and everybody just leaves the theatre so happy and so full of Christmas spirit.
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 2 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 3 'We will always miss you' - tributes to QEH pharmacist who died in A47 crash
- 4 Green light for park and ride, drive throughs and offices near Norwich
- 5 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 6 Villagers' anger after meadow is mowed causing 'destruction' of plants
- 7 Tractor being used for A11 roadworks had faulty brakes
- 8 'It's a nightmare' - Roadworks leave town 'gridlocked'
- 9 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 10 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
'It is nice to perform knowing that people are really feeling the joy and being lost in the magic of the show.
'There is so much magic and beautiful music.' Both Dreda and Isaac, who plays Cavalier in the show, said they loved The Nutcracker displays that are adorning Jarrold's windows and the elements of the story that can be spotted around the store.
The displays have been created by Jane Evans, Amy Newson and Annie Emmerson from the store's visual merchandising department.
The front cover of Jarrold's Christmas Gift Guide also features a special Nutcracker-themed painting of Jarrold that has been designed by artist Lucy Loveheart. The original painting can be seen in Jarrold's Benji's restaurant.
Northern Ballet's production of The Nutcracker is at Norwich Theatre Royal until Saturday. Tickets £8-£37.50. For more information and to book tickets visit www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk or call the box office on 01603 630000.
Do you have a Norwich arts story? Email arts correspondent Emma Knights at email@example.com