The Norfolk families celebrating special New Year’s Day arrivals
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
Families in Norfolk are celebrating an extra special start to 2017 after becoming parents on New Year's Day.
At the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Ryan and Natasha Smithurst were adjusting to life with baby girl Meredith Paige, who was born just before 4.30am.
The couple, who live in Norwich, arrived in hospital on Thursday after Meredith, their first child, reached 17 days overdue.
Mr Smithurst, 36, said: 'We thought something might happen over Christmas, but nothing did.
'I think she must have been holding out for 2017 – she realised how bad this year had been so she hung on. It is amazing, we're delighted.'
You may also want to watch:
Just across the ward, Norwich couple Daniel Bush and Joanna Olechowska were celebrating their new parenthood after the arrival of baby daughter Milena just after 2am.
Mr Bush, who runs Muffin Break in Castle Mall shopping centre, said. 'It became a very different night to ones we've had in the past, having a drink with friends.
- 1 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 2 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 3 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 4 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 5 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 6 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 7 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 8 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 9 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 10 Jail for 'Jekyll and Hyde' builder who made customer 'fear for her life'
'She was due on New Year's Day and it's worked out perfectly as it's the only day the business is closed, which has made everything easier.
'It's fantastic – she's beautiful and we're really pleased.'
Meanwhile, catering assistant Agne Stanisauskiene from King's Lynn gave birth to baby boy Evanas, weighing 8lbs 4oz, at the town's Queen Elizabeth Hospital at 11 minutes after midnight.
Asmah Rehman, 32, from Leverington, near Wisbech, gave birth to daughter, Fatemah, who weighed 7lbs 14oz, at 1.54am.
It was her third child, and husband Shafique said: 'It's great'.
Another new arrival at the hospital was Arslan, a boy born to Lina Vaubsaite, weighing 8lbs, just before 4am.
Did you celebrate a new arrival on New Year's Day? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org