The Norfolk families celebrating special New Year’s Day arrivals
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
Families in Norfolk are celebrating an extra special start to 2017 after becoming parents on New Year's Day.
At the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Ryan and Natasha Smithurst were adjusting to life with baby girl Meredith Paige, who was born just before 4.30am.
The couple, who live in Norwich, arrived in hospital on Thursday after Meredith, their first child, reached 17 days overdue.
Mr Smithurst, 36, said: 'We thought something might happen over Christmas, but nothing did.
'I think she must have been holding out for 2017 – she realised how bad this year had been so she hung on. It is amazing, we're delighted.'
You may also want to watch:
Just across the ward, Norwich couple Daniel Bush and Joanna Olechowska were celebrating their new parenthood after the arrival of baby daughter Milena just after 2am.
Mr Bush, who runs Muffin Break in Castle Mall shopping centre, said. 'It became a very different night to ones we've had in the past, having a drink with friends.
- 1 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 4 Revealed: The cheapest towns in Norfolk to buy a home
- 5 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 6 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 7 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 8 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 9 'Embarrassing' - City fans ask questions of Farke after Chelsea thrashing
- 10 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
'She was due on New Year's Day and it's worked out perfectly as it's the only day the business is closed, which has made everything easier.
'It's fantastic – she's beautiful and we're really pleased.'
Meanwhile, catering assistant Agne Stanisauskiene from King's Lynn gave birth to baby boy Evanas, weighing 8lbs 4oz, at the town's Queen Elizabeth Hospital at 11 minutes after midnight.
Asmah Rehman, 32, from Leverington, near Wisbech, gave birth to daughter, Fatemah, who weighed 7lbs 14oz, at 1.54am.
It was her third child, and husband Shafique said: 'It's great'.
Another new arrival at the hospital was Arslan, a boy born to Lina Vaubsaite, weighing 8lbs, just before 4am.
Did you celebrate a new arrival on New Year's Day? Let us know by emailing email@example.com