Fly in zapper blamed as fire crews rush to restaurant
- Credit: Submitted
Staff were evacuated from a Norwich restaurant over fears of a fire – but it turned out to be a false alarm.
A spokesperson for Norfolk Fire and Rescue confirmed it was called to London Street at 10.03am on Thursday.
Staff from The Ivy Norwich Brasserie had gathered outside the building, but within minutes it was discovered that there was no fire.
Instead, it was a fly in a zapper which had caused the confusion after it set off the an alarm.
Mick Hughes, watch manager at Carrow Fire Station, said: "It was a false alarm caused by a fly in the zapper.
You may also want to watch:
"Our message is to always test smoke alarms. Once a month give them a hoover as insects like spiders can get into detectors and cause false alarms."
Staff are back inside the restaurant, which will be able to trade as normal.
- 1 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 2 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 3 Ex-head charged with sex attacks on boys at Norfolk school
- 4 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 5 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 6 James Bond themed windmill owned by 007 star for rent
- 7 Elton John to kick off UK leg of farewell tour at Carrow Road
- 8 RSPCA shop loses more than £1,000 after 'slamming scam'
- 9 Norwich City drop huge hint of global star gig at Carrow Road
- 10 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
Fire crews were stood down at 10.10am.