The Hold Steady frontman Craig Finn announces unlikely performance in Bungay
- Credit: Picture: Jane Cole
As frontman of American rock band The Hold Steady, Craig Finn has performed in cities and towns all over the globe.
His latest UK solo tour will see him visit many of the usual suspects - Nottingham, Liverpool, London, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Manchester all feature. However, the host town of the tour's opening night is somewhat less frequented.
The singer will kick off his 'Living Room Tour', which will see him performing in tiny venues, by performing in Bungay.
The gig was secured by Bungay Town Football Club committee member Shaun Cole - a big Hold Steady Fan - who answered the singer's appeal for potential venues.
The American had asked for fans with large living rooms to offer up their homes for an intimate performance, and while the club's lounge did not quite match this description, it still fitted the bill for the singer.
You may also want to watch:
Now Mr Cole, who has travelled as far as London, Paris and Cambridge to see the band, is looking forward to bringing its front man to Bungay, as he promotes his third solo album 'We All Want the Same Things'.
Mr Cole said: 'I've been a fan for around ten years and have seen the Hold Steady seven or eight times, so this is brilliant news.
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 7 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 8 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 9 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 10 Up and coming Norwich musician reaches number 13 in UK charts
'When I saw he was looking for venues I thought we might have had a reasonable shout, but if I'm honest I thought they would be more likely to choose somewhere in Norwich.'
The singer will be slightly familiar with the Suffolk setting - he performed at Latitude Festival in 2007 with the Hold Steady - but this will be his first concert in the market town.
Mr Cole added: 'I met him at a gig in London two years ago and told him all about Bungay Town. He didn't know too much about football and definitely had no idea at all about Bungay Town - when I said what league we were in he assumed it was around the fourth tier.
'However, now he's performing here, which is such brilliant news for the club and will hopefully get a few more eyes on us.'
Craig Finn performs at Bungay Town Football Club on Easter Monday, April 17, with tickets costing £25 through Undertow Tickets. Tickets go on sale at 3pm on Friday, March 24, but with just 75 up for grabs fans will have to be quick to secure their seat.