The Girl on the Train is Norfolk’s most-borrowed book during campaign - but how many of the top 20 have you read?
- Credit: Norfolk County Council
The Girl on the Train steamed ahead of the opposition to be the most-borrowed book during a five-week campaign to get Norfolk adults reading.
The county's library users borrowed the Paula Hawkins novel 459 times throughout the Great Big Read.
The book - made into a film starring Emily Blunt - was well ahead of the next title, Rachel Hore's The House on Bellevue Gardens, which was taken out 348 times.
In total, the 20 books that were in the Great Big Read were borrowed 4,693 times.
Here's the top 20 rundown:
You may also want to watch:
1 - The Girl on the Train – Paula Hawkins (459)
2 - The House on Bellevue Gardens – Rachel Hore (348)
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 6 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 7 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 8 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 9 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 10 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack
3 - Far From True – Linwood Barclay (312)
4 - How to Find love in a book shop – Veronica Henry (302)
5 - The Muse – Jessie Burton (282)
6 - Exposure – Helen Dunmore (271)
7 - The Night Manager – John Le Carre (253)
8 - Orphan X – Gregg Hurwitz (240)
9 - Vinegar Girl – Anne Tyler (236)
10 - The Trouble with Goats and Sheep – Joanna Cannon (235)
11 - The Lie Tree – Frances Hardinge (229)
12 - The Return of Norah Wells – Virginia Macgregor (224)
13 - When Breath Becomes Air – Paul Kalanithi (224)
14 - A Deadly Thaw – Sarah Ward (223)
15 - The Trap – Melanie Raabe (211)
16 - Belgravia – Julian Fellowes (206)
17 - Black Water Lilies – Michel Bussi (202)
18 - The Shepherd's Life – James Rebanks (184)
19 - H is for Hawk – Helen Macdonald (158)
20 - Rebel of the Sands – Alwyn Hamilton (118)
The campaign saw readers choosing from 20 titles in Norfolk's Most Wanted, the most popular books borrowed from Norfolk County Council's libraries across the county.
Following the success of the campaign, library users are now being encouraged to read on. An additional reading list has been put together, with writing styles similar to those in the Great Big Read. So if there is a book that library users particularly enjoyed, librarians can recommend similar titles that they might enjoy.