The Flying Scotsman is coming to Norwich
- Credit: PA
Its glorious return to the tracks this week has prompted excitement across the country, with thousands flocking to see it steam its way from London to York.
And now, Britain's most famous locomotive is to pay a visit to Norwich.
The Flying Scotsman will power its way into the city later this spring, as part of a series of trips being planned around the country.
The locomotive has been out of action for around a decade while it underwent a £4.2m refit. But it made its grand return yesterday, leaving from King's Cross and heading north to York, where it will be based at the National Rail Museum. It arrived almost an hour later than expected, after being held up twice by reports of trespassers, keen for a good view.
It will make the journey from Ely to Norwich and back in May. Passengers have paid almost £180 for a ticket.
A spokesman for Network Rail said: 'We are all excited to see The Flying Scotsman return to our rails and we know that many people have waited years for this.'
The locomotive undertook a series of test runs through Cumbria and Lancashire earlier this year.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 3 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 4 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 5 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
- 6 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 7 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
- 8 'Ghetto' fears raised over scheme for 725 new homes
- 9 Pub landlord threatened to kill man he chased through streets with axe
- 10 Which Norfolk hospital has the longest ambulance handovers?
Tickets for its journey to Norwich, billed as an East Anglian cream tea outing, have already sold out, but people can turn out to watch.
It will depart Ely at 2pm on Wednesday, May 25 and arrive in Norwich at 3.30pm, returning at 4.30pm for a 6pm arrival at Ely.