The day Diana, Princess of Wales, made a splash in Sheringham
- Credit: Archant Library
Do you remember when Diana came to Sheringham?
As many take time this week to remember the princess on the 20th anniversary after her death, people in the north Norfolk town of Sheringham can think back to the day hundreds tried to catch a glimpse of her on a special royal duty in the town.
While she was a regular at Sandringham, especially Christmas Day church services, she made quite a splash when she visited Sheringham to open the new Splash Leisure Centre pool on May 11, 1988.
Wearing an elegant blue suit she spent time chatting to town dignitaries, lifeguards and staff as well as swimmers and school children before unveiling a plaque to mark the occasion.
She collected bouquets of flowers and flags from those who lined the route to meet her.
You may also want to watch:
Splash Leisure and Fitness Centre cost £2.5m and took five years to plan and build but could be knocked down and rebuilt after North Norfolk District Council said the ageing building was in need of modernisation.
Local authority-owned land neighbouring the site could be sold for a new hotel and commercial development to help pay for the £8 million project.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 4 Shock for Tories as they lose overall control of council
- 5 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 6 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack
- 7 Great-grandmother can't dance amid gallbladder operation complications
- 8 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 9 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 10 Gay and trans people targeted in hate incident at school
The council hasn't ruled out refurbishing the pool but it is not thought to be the most cost effective option.
Were you among the crowds on May 11, 1988? Send us your photos of Diana at Sheringham by email to email@example.com.