The best photos from Norwich Ice Rink opening weekend
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2015
With a slip and a trip - and one hand firmly on the wall - they were off.
Families gingerly took their first steps out onto the ice on Sunday, as our rink, set in the stunning Castle Gardens surroundings, was officially unveiled.
Performers more at ease on the ice opened the show, with the Ice Candy Skating Group dancing to Michael Jackson's Thriller - but it was soon time for those queueing to have a go.
Parents clasped tightly onto wobbling youngsters' hands, couples guided each other round and for those unsteady on their skates the crutch of the wall was never far away.
But by the end of the first 45-minute slot many were finding their ice feet, smoothly sailing around the rink.
Archant's ice rink organiser, Maryrisa Chappell, said: 'Today has been an amazing day - we had loads of people coming to see what was going on and lots of happy faces.
'Whether you're a total beginner or you love skating, we'd love to welcome everyone down to come and have a go.'
- 1 Restaurant apologises after boy hospitalised with allergic reaction
- 2 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 3 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 4 Former vicarage set in one acre is up for sale - and it needs some TLC
- 5 World record? 24 ducklings spotted waddling through Norfolk village
- 6 Where the streets have no cars... the community that banned the school run
- 7 Revamped 'hidden gem' restaurant hoping to put village on map for food
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Fake chefs deliver out-of-date lasagne to Carrow Road ahead of Spurs clash
- 10 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
The rink, which has been sponsored by Norwich International Airport, will be open everyday apart from Christmas Day until January 2.
Tickets can be bought online here or at the ice rink itself.