The Ashes of polo to take place at Norfolk’s Langley estate this weekend
- Credit: Nick Butcher
The start of the long-awaited Ashes cricket series between England and Australia is only days away and this weekend a Norfolk estate will be hosting polo's equivalent of the Ashes to help get fans in the mood.
An England v Australia match will be the centrepiece of the Norfolk Polo Festival which will take place at the Langley Abbey Estate tomorrow and Sunday.
The contest came about after Hurlingham Polo Association (HPA), with the support of Etihad Airlines, sent an England 21 and under side to play against an Australian Colts side earlier this year.
However, the international match will not be the only polo battle taking place as teams from across the country will be competing against each other for a series of prizes including the Smithfield Sausage, Winsor Bishop Cup and Warwick Townsend Trophy, which is for the beginners' teams.
Chris Townsend, the owner of Langley Abbey Estate, said: 'Ticket sales have reacted with the weather forecast, which is looking very good. The calls that we have received indicate that there will be quite a few people coming to see the England-Australia match.'
You may also want to watch:
The festival, which is again sponsored by Coutts & Co with the EDP returning as media partners, also includes children's entertainment, shopping arcade and refreshments.
Gates open at 11am on both days; adult tickets £10; children 12 and under, free.
- 1 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 2 Warning over 'Amazon' cold call recordings scam in Norfolk
- 3 'Max Factor lady' - Tributes to adored gran who died in M11 layby
- 4 Pub has to close indefinitely as town cleans up after floods
- 5 Dutch design could inspire revamp of danger roundabout
- 6 'Oh no, not another one' - lake drowning triggers soul-searching over safety
- 7 Ghosts of business past: Empty shop units for rent for £100,000
- 8 New hotel could 'destroy character of Norwich Lanes'
- 9 Former care home sells at auction for £400,000
- 10 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
Limited pitch-side parking is available on the day at £20 per car. All payments are via cash on the gate. The 'after party' on Saturday is in the VIP marquee from 7pm – £10 on the door.
Tickets are also available for the VIP enclosure, which allow viewing from private lawns, while sipping champagne and enjoying food from Brasteds.
Brasteds VIP tickets are available for both days.
Saturday tickets include exclusive parking, Pimms reception, canapés on the lawn, a sit-down two-course lunch, afternoon tea and free entry to the after party at £115 per person.Sunday tickets include parking, entry to the VIP marquee and buffet lunch at £55 per adult or £20 per child.
For further information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01508 491112.