The 100pc schoolboy, famous guest and sentencing protest - What was in the Diss Mercury 25 years ago?
- Credit: Archant
The Diss Mercury has been servicing the local community for more than 25 years.
We have delved into the archives that have been stored away in the Mercury Office on Mere Street to show see just what was in the paper 25 years ago.
A South Norfolk MP was backing the release of two 'honoured and respected' men who were jailed who five years after being found guilty of kidnapping.
Duncan Bond, then 35, from Harlston and Mark Chapman, then 29, from Hornham, were sentences to five years in prison but MP John MacGregor joined with family and friends in protest over the 'excessive' sentence.
School pupil Edward Driver was in the news after completing 11 years at school without ever missing a day, finshing with an 100pc attendance record.
You may also want to watch:
The the 15-year-old always joined his classmates at Bressingham and Diss High School as illnesses would always strike during the school holidays.
A famous face graced Pulham Market church fete as film and TV star Kate Rabett made an appearance. The Suffolk-born actress was joined by award-winning script writer David Croft.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 4 Shock for Tories as they lose overall control of council
- 5 Great-grandmother can't dance amid gallbladder operation complications
- 6 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 7 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 8 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 9 Make it modern: Norfolk rectory goes up for sale after renovation
- 10 Campervan ban lifted in 12 car parks by the coast
Miss Rabett appeared in You Rang My Lord, Dad's Army and Half Hot Mum.