Ten things you’ll only understand if you grew up in Norfolk
PUBLISHED: 16:12 03 March 2016 | UPDATED: 15:26 07 March 2016
Archant Norfolk Photographic Â© 2011
Because we like to do everything a little differently in this part of the world, you’ll probably only have experienced these ten things if you were raised in Nelson’s county.
1. Trying to describe where Norfolk is located is the worst - nobody has a clue where you live until you direct them to the “humpy bit” on a map.
2. From the moment you learnt to read, it was a necessity to memorise all public transport timetables, because if you missed something you’d be in for an excruciatingly long wait.
3. You are brilliant at pronouncing the obscure names of small towns, Costessey, Wymondham and Happisburgh all just roll off the tongue.
4. You know what a bishy barnabee is.
5. As a child you thought Great Yarmouth was a magical place, but as an adult you don’t think it’s as great as the name says it is.
6. You can’t do anything during Norfolk Show days - other than go to the Norfolk Show. The whole county seems to just shut down, but you were ok with it because it meant you got a day off school.
7. Trying to get a phone signal in your house/school/anywhere almost always turned into a scene from Mission Impossible – climbing great heights, dangling from windows and balancing on small ledges became a part of your every day routine.
8. Getting to and from anywhere in Norfolk on the train (especially at weekends) is a nightmare. Successfully navigating the London Underground seems like a piece of cake in comparison.
9. The only time you ever went to Ipswich was to visit Portman Road.
10. You know all about, don’t understand, but undoubtedly love the Puppet Man.
•Do you think we’ve missed anything out which we should’ve included on the list? Leave your thoughts below.