Search

Teacher suspended over indecent images

PUBLISHED: 07:45 22 June 2006 | UPDATED: 11:04 22 October 2010

CELIA WIGG

A teacher suspected of possessing indecent images has been suspended from his post at a Norfolk high school pending a police investigation, it emerged last night.

A teacher suspected of possessing indecent images has been suspended from his post at a Norfolk high school pending a police investigation, it emerged last night.

Kenneth Bright, head of art at Archbishop Sancroft High School, Harleston, was suspended from work until further notice on June 5 on the advice of Norfolk Children's Services personnel department and Norfolk police.

Parents were sent a letter by head teacher Steve Carter, informing them of the action taken but they were not told the nature of the allegations.

Mr Carter told the EDP yesterday: "We are working hard to minimise disruption to pupils and have made sure that parents are aware of the situation in a letter.

"We feel it is important that parents are kept informed though, obviously, we are limited in what we can say because there is an ongoing police investigation.

"The focus of all my staff and governors, and of course parents, continues to be the education and well-being of our pupils."

In his letter, Mr Carter assured parents that every effort was being made to secure a specialist art supply teacher to provide cover in Mr Bright's absence. He told them it was "a difficult situation for us all" and would be handled with the high standards and professionalism for which the school was already well known.

He explained that he could not go into details regarding the nature of the allegations as these were confidential to the officials handling the investigation. He added: "Whilst I cannot, therefore, disclose information I am willing to listen to any parent who may have concerns of their own specific to Mr Bright."

Dan Pritchard, Norfolk County Council's spokesman for children's services, said: "We can confirm that Kenneth Bright, head of art at Archbishop Sancroft school, has been suspended by the governors pending a police investigation. Suspension is the normal course of action in such cases, and is in the interest of the school and the member of staff concerned.

"Any disciplinary procedures will only happen if and when any legal proceedings are completed. We continue to work closely with the school and Norfolk police and can make no further comment at this time."

A spokesman for Norfolk police confirmed a 59-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of possession of indecent images and was assisting them with their inquiries.

Mr Bright has worked at Archbishop Sancroft School for 33 years and is the second member of staff in the last two years to face a police investigation.

John Golby, a 61-year-old technician and special-needs helper, was accused of causing or inciting a 15-year-old boy to engage in sexual activity between May 4 and July 21 2004.

He denied the charges and was cleared at Norwich Crown Court last year.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press