Tea Sommelier from Caister-on-Sea launches tea flavoured gin in Norwich
- Credit: Archant
A tipple for tea lovers is coming to Norwich.
Jindea, a gin flavoured with a single estate Indian Darjeeling tea, has been created by three industry experts, including a man from Norfolk.
Matthew Dakers, who was born in Norwich and grew up in Caister-on-Sea, spent several years working as a bartender and global ambassador for various drink companies, before deciding to work for himself.
Mr Dakers worked on the gin alongside Jack Rackham, of Emporia, a London-based drinks importer and his friend from university, Adrian Gomes, who owns two Scottish bars.
He said: 'Both myself and Adrian have strong ties to India, my gradfather was born there and Adrian's father grew up in Goa where his family worked on the Indian railways.
'When creating Jindea we wanted to make a gin which would reflect both our heritage and were inspired to use Darjeeling tea to draw on the gentle aromatic and floral qualities it imparts to the gin.'
The team enlisted tea sommelier, Ajit Madam to help select the right brew for the drink and Matthew quickly became inspired to take the test and qualify as a tea sommelier himself.
- 1 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 2 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 3 East Norfolk road closed with firefighters at the scene
- 4 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 5 'I listen to science': City folk hit back at anti-vax protests
- 6 Emergency services at scene of crash near A47 in Norwich
- 7 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
- 8 Builder of 15 years puts down tools and opens smokehouse restaurant
- 9 Police on hand as anti-vaccine protesters gather in city
- 10 Fire destroys roof of Norwich home
'It's been an eye-opening experience and I honestly think tea is going to be the next big thing,' he added. 'Gin is really trendy right now but there are only four or five other tea gins on offer and they're quite expensive.
'Our drink has kindly been called the 'champagne of the gin world', and we've already got interest from places such as the Savoy Hotel who want to offer Jindea on their Afternoon Tea cocktail list. I'm very excited to see where it will go.'
A series of launch parties have been held across the country over the last three months to celebrate the gin.
The final party will take place at Be At One in Norwich on Thursday, August 24 from 7pm.
Mr Dakers said: 'The Norwich event is going to be great, my family still live in the area, they're from Aylsham, so it's a bit like a homecoming for me.'
For more information visit jindeagin.com