Taverham school choir fundraises to sponsor Ugandan orphan
- Credit: Archant
A Taverham school choir has worked with a Ugandan charity to sponsor a 19-year-old orphan.
Magna Voce, the choir at Langley Preparatory School at Taverham Hall, launched a fundraising initiative for charity Watoto, which educates and homes some of the millions of orphans in Uganda.
Through the scheme, the children learnt about Watoto and its work and watched footage of its community.
The choir has already raised enough to sponsor Winfred Nakalyango, 19, for a year, and they hope to sponsor her for her two remaining years in the Watoto programme.
Jonty Tan, director of music, said: 'I am so grateful that we have been able to sponsor Winfred. The children are writing letters to her and we are so excited to hear from her. I consider it, and I know the children consider it, to be an absolute honour to be able to be involved with helping this young lady have as good a start as she can in life.'
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Weather warning in place as snow falls in parts of Norfolk and Waveney
- 3 Luxury manor for sale with a 'Hobbit house' in the grounds
- 4 School closed its doors for three days after Covid outbreak
- 5 Car flips over in crash near south Norfolk village
- 6 Unfinished barn conversion to go up for sale at auction
- 7 Norwich painter and decorator named best in the country
- 8 Emma Thompson backs Norwich charity which helped her daughter
- 9 Out of control dog attacked and killed sheep, court hears
- 10 Passengers angry after train heading to Norwich delayed for hours