Target smashed in Sergeant Mark Shepherd’s fundraising bid, as he takes selfies with Norwich’s Prince of Wales Road revellers
- Credit: Mark Shepherd
A sergeant raising money for bowel cancer has smashed his fundraising target of £500, a week before the deadline.
Sgt Mark Shepherd, who works in Norwich, has been taking part in this year's Decembeard challenge, and strayed away from shaving for the whole month.
And on Friday night he managed to get permission to bring out some festive glitz and glam and create a 'glitter beard' for his shift on busy Prince of Wales Road.
Sgt Shepherd is well-known on Twitter, where he posts using the hashtag #SelfiesWithCops when he poses for photos with members of the public.
And Friday was no exception, with lots of people commenting on his sparkly facial hair.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'I would like to say thank you to everyone for their support, especially the EDP and Norfolk Police.
'It has been amazing that so far I have raised £579 for Decembeard and beating bowel cancer. This exceeds my amount raised last year, which is excellent.
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 4 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 5 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 6 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 7 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 8 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 9 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 10 Cycling trail among ideas for new country park
'Friday night on out on Operation Impact with my glitter beard was a different experience. The revellers of Norwich loved it and at first I couldn't walk down the street without having a #selfieswithcops. A lot of people loved seeing a police officer with a glitter beard.
'It proved to be a great ice breaker, with a lot of people walking away with a smile on their face. That's what public order policing on Prince of Wales is about - making it a safer and enjoyable place to go. Also a positive policing experience for all.
'All for a great cause and another highlight for my Decembeard. I will need to go some to top this for next year.'
Sgt Shepherd won't be shaving until the end of the month, and has already beaten the amount he raised last year of £540.
To follow Sgt Shepherd's progress, follow him on Twitter @SgtMarkShepherd.
Or to donate, visit www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Sgt-MarkShepherd