Target smashed in Sergeant Mark Shepherd’s fundraising bid, as he takes selfies with Norwich’s Prince of Wales Road revellers
- Credit: Mark Shepherd
A sergeant raising money for bowel cancer has smashed his fundraising target of £500, a week before the deadline.
Sgt Mark Shepherd, who works in Norwich, has been taking part in this year's Decembeard challenge, and strayed away from shaving for the whole month.
And on Friday night he managed to get permission to bring out some festive glitz and glam and create a 'glitter beard' for his shift on busy Prince of Wales Road.
Sgt Shepherd is well-known on Twitter, where he posts using the hashtag #SelfiesWithCops when he poses for photos with members of the public.
And Friday was no exception, with lots of people commenting on his sparkly facial hair.
He said: 'I would like to say thank you to everyone for their support, especially the EDP and Norfolk Police.
'It has been amazing that so far I have raised £579 for Decembeard and beating bowel cancer. This exceeds my amount raised last year, which is excellent.
- 1 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 2 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 3 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 4 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 5 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 6 Obituary: Doctor, and son of Norwich's recycling empire founder, dies aged 69
- 7 One person taken to hospital after three-car crash on A47
- 8 Father accused of baby girl's murder 'had short fuse and made things up'
- 9 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 10 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
'Friday night on out on Operation Impact with my glitter beard was a different experience. The revellers of Norwich loved it and at first I couldn't walk down the street without having a #selfieswithcops. A lot of people loved seeing a police officer with a glitter beard.
'It proved to be a great ice breaker, with a lot of people walking away with a smile on their face. That's what public order policing on Prince of Wales is about - making it a safer and enjoyable place to go. Also a positive policing experience for all.
'All for a great cause and another highlight for my Decembeard. I will need to go some to top this for next year.'
Sgt Shepherd won't be shaving until the end of the month, and has already beaten the amount he raised last year of £540.
To follow Sgt Shepherd's progress, follow him on Twitter @SgtMarkShepherd.
Or to donate, visit www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Sgt-MarkShepherd