Swinton Insurance staff cycling 300 miles to save baby girl Victoria Komada’s legs from amputation
- Credit: Archant
Staff at a Norwich Swinton Insurance branch are preparing to cycle for an entire week to help raise money for Victoria Komada.
Born with bilateral tibial hemililia, Victoria, from north Norwich, needs £300,000 in the next nine months or faces both legs being amputated.
Last month a fundraising tin was stolen from her aunt and uncle's shop on Mile Cross Lane, in Norwich, and seeing the 15-month-old's story, staff at the branch rallied round to help the family raise money.
'I saw the story and I had been looking for something we can all do as a team,' said customer service manager Debbie Girling. 'We wanted to support something local, and this story just made me so sad.
'I came into the office and told everyone I had seen this story, and what could we do to help. We have used all the skills and the contacts within the team to make it happen.
You may also want to watch:
'I have children and I think when you are a parent anything child-related can be quite upsetting. It just hit home with me. If we can at least improve her quality of life we will have done something. This callous person who stole the money is just awful. We also want to show the family there are good people out there, and we are here as a community to help and support them.'
Nine members of staff will take turns on an exercise bike on loan from Nuffield Health during office hours from Monday, October 31 to Friday, November 4.
- 1 Indian variant Covid cases in Norfolk 'cause to be cautious'
- 2 Norfolk farmhouse with indoor pool for sale by online auction
- 3 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 4 Man in 30s airlifted to hospital following serious fall
- 5 City poised for Maddison cash boost
- 6 Riverside pub welcomes customers again with new owners
- 7 Best bargain ever? Village hall for sale for £35,000
- 8 Inquest into death of 22-year-old swimmer at Norfolk beauty spot
- 9 Man drowned after drifting out onto lake on air bed
- 10 Staff at food firm receive £900 bonus each
The family have been told of the challenge as Victoria's uncle, Greg Komada, is a customer.
The branch on Prince of Wales Road will also be selling cakes and putting on games to boost funds. Visitors will be welcome to watch the team in action and join in the fundraising.
To donate, visit www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/debbie-grling-swinton.