Swim gala is planned to help re-open Drayton school’s pool
- Credit: Archant
A charity swimming gala is being planned to try to save one of the most-loved swimming pools in the Norwich area.
The event will be held at the Riverside Leisure Centre in Wherry Road on May 28 from 4.30pm to 8pm, in aid of Drayton Junior School's swimming pool, which was forced to close last year after its heating system failed.
Riverside contract manager Phil Wright said everyone was invited to attend and show their support for the Drayton pool.
He said: 'That pool actually served 16 different schools, and 165,000 children have learned to swim there since 1971.
'Now those children are not getting any swimming lessons at all, so it's so important that we get it up and running again as soon as possible.
You may also want to watch:
'As we all know, Norfolk is surrounded by water so swimming is an absolutely essential skill.'
There will be a £2 entry fee for the swim gala, which will include a cake sale and raffle. Call 01603 671390 for more information.
- 1 Driver dies in crash on A47
- 2 Electric vehicle owners could have to pay £50 to run cables to cars
- 3 Inside the police operation that has led to 3000 arrests in Norfolk
- 4 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 5 Your favourite pub, café, restaurant and hotel in Norfolk revealed
- 6 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 7 Volunteers wanted - to be locked up in a Norfolk police cell
- 8 End of an era as hardware store closes after 60 years
- 9 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 10 The Norfolk waterway that is too rude for Facebook
Donations can also be made online at www.justgiving.com/friendsof-djs.