Passionate and clever Oliver died after he 'took the wrong path'
PUBLISHED: 09:25 13 December 2017 | UPDATED: 13:11 13 December 2017
The family of a passionate Norwich City fan who died after taking a cocktail of drugs have today described him as hardworking and naturally talented.
An inquest at Norfolk Coroner’s Court heard how Oliver Crockford, 20, of the Oaklands in Swaffham, had taken a combination of prescription medication and illegal substances at a friend’s house in April this year.
Giving evidence, his friend Liam Searle described how he found Mr Crockford’s body the following afternoon. He said: “He was very pale so I checked and saw he wasn’t breathing, then called my parents who called the ambulance.”
The emergency services arrived within minutes and Mr Crockford was pronounced dead at the scene on Saturday April 22.
The court also heard evidence from another friend, Matthew Jestico, that Mr Crockford admitted to having an addiction to an over-the-counter medication and was known to abuse other medication as well as cannabis and cocaine.
Mr Crockford’s father Rob said: “He just thought he was indestructable and he took the wrong path.
“We found out what he was doing and gave him a hard time. People reassured us it was a phase.
“Ollie’s death was a total shock to so many people and has left a massive hole in our family and friends lives He was always very supportive to his friends and they all loved him like a brother”
His mother Mickey added: “He was a very clever boy and worked hard at his job.”
Mr Crockford had just finished an apprenticeship in engineering and was due to start a degree in September.
The Norwich City season ticket-holder was a trainee draughtsman and CAD designer at Forbes in King’s Lynn and occassionally travelled to their factory in Scotland to watch his designs being made.
Mrs Crockford said: “No one could tell him what to do. I went to the football with him once and he was loud. He loved it.
“If they told him to sit down in the stadium he’d have probably stood on the seats.”
Senior coroner for Norfolk Jacqueline Lake recorded the verdict as a drug-related death during the early hours with the medical cause of death being opiate and cocaine toxicity leading to respiratory failure.
She added that it was clear Mr Crockford had not intended for his life to end that day.