Support pours in to keep Sea Palling lifeboat service buoyant
- Credit: Archant
Pledges of support have flowed in for an independent lifeboat after it issued an urgent funding appeal.
Sea Palling Lifeboat on the north Norfolk coast has received numerous donations from the public and local businesses following its SOS plea in the EDP and online last week.
Coxswain Craig Spence made the call for financial assistance for the service which needs to raise £20,000 a year to stay afloat.
Mr Spence said: 'We were in desperate need of funding but there has been a very positive response to the appeal with donations from the public and businesses.
'We are open to work with any streams of funding and looking at possible sponsorship.
'There has not just been offers of financial support, we have been given raffle prizes for our lifeboat day on August 21 and a company in Norwich has pledged to donate electrical fittings for the station.
'I would like to thank everyone for their support.'
- 1 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 2 Part of A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 3 See inside this idyllic family home up for sale with NO nearby neighbours
- 4 EXCLUSIVE: The faces behind City's prospective US investment
- 5 Former coastal restaurant up for auction
- 6 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 7 Thousands expected to attend huge four-day steam extravaganza
- 8 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 9 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 10 Multiple fire crews tackle farm blaze overnight
The crew had been given a launch vehicle by local businessmen Mervyn Lambert and Tom Clayton, but this had to be adapted at the cost of £8,000.
Modifications to the lifeboat trailer cost a further £2,000.
The funding appeal came just after the crew was involved in a major incident as two swimmers got into trouble in a rip tide at Sea Palling. Leszek Puchala, 52, was pulled unconscious from the waves and could not be revived, while a second man, in his 20s, was taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital for treatment.
To pledge support to the Sea Palling Lifeboat, you can donate by texting PVRS01 followed by a donation amount (£2, £5, £10 etc) to 70070.