Supermarket plan could bring 50 jobs to Wells
About 50 full and part-time jobs could be created under plans to open a new �3.75m Co-op supermarket in Wells.
The proposals will go on show for the first time next week, giving traders, residents and visitors the chance to comment and find out more.
Anglia Co-operative Society hopes to build the foodstore and a 52-space car park at the former Polka Caravan Centre, off Polka Road, with a view to opening next spring.
The seaside town is currently home to Leftley's supermarket in Staithe Street, but none of the big name chains have set up shop before.
'We have been looking at Wells as an opportunity for a long time, however the right location was never available,' retail executive Andy Simpson said.
'We believe the particular site we have now identified offers a fantastic opportunity to bring a quality food proposition to the town.
'We very much hope we can look forward to a successful presence in Wells – together with the opportunity to provide the area with our unique support for the local community.'
- 1 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 2 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 3 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 4 Fire destroys roof of Norwich home
- 5 Queen flown by helicopter to Sandringham Estate
- 6 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 7 'I listen to science': City folk hit back at anti-vax protests
- 8 East Norfolk road closed with firefighters at the scene
- 9 Emergency services at scene of crash near A47 in Norwich
- 10 Seven of the best locations for a minibreak staycation in Norfolk
Co-op's consultation event, organised with its Lincolnshire-based development partner Lindum Group, will be held at Wells Maltings, in Staithe Street, from 2pm to 7.30pm on Wednesday.
There will be the chance to speak to the team, including designers, about the project before a planning application for the 10,000sqft store is submitted.
Paul McSorely of Lindum Group, added: 'We are excited to be involved in bringing a new foodstore proposal to Wells, saving the weekly drive to other towns.
'We would like to hear from as many residents as possible and have the opportunity to talk in detail on the day.'
Call Sandra Hannon on 01522 500300 for more details about the consultation.