Super Badger James, from North Walsham, follows family tradition of service to St John Ambulance
- Credit: Archant
Super Badger James Chare is following a family tradition of service to St John Ambulance.
James, nine, of Gigli Close, North Walsham, has just received his Super Badger award, the highest distinction a young St John Badger can achieve.
He has spent four years as a member of St John at North Walsham working through 12 subjects to earn his qualifying badges in subjects including first aid which means he could one day make the difference between a life lost and a life saved.
James follows his sister, St John cadet Amy, 14, who achieved her Super Badger award three years ago.
Their mum Samantha is a first aider and cadet leader with St John in North Walsham where their grandmother Linda Mears is also a first aider with 15 years service.
You may also want to watch:
'I'm very proud of my children. They are wonderful. It's a very useful life skill to have,' said Mrs Chare.
James accompanies adult first aiders to public events where he is learning the skills necessary to perform official duties when he is older.
- 1 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 2 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 3 Hundreds give amazing send-off to well-loved supermarket worker
- 4 Former Norwich boxing champion banned from contacting ex-partner
- 5 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman found dead in flat
- 7 New Lidl stores to open in Norfolk and Waveney in £1.3bn expansion
- 8 Historic railway platform building could be demolished in station revamp
- 9 Air ambulance called to person's aid in Dereham
- 10 RSPCA shop loses more than £1,000 after 'slamming scam'
Amy has already clocked up 200 hours of public event duties, including the Worstead Festival and Reepham's summer music festival.
She is working towards her Grand Prior award, the highest achievable by a St John cadet.
James was presented with his Super Badger award by Linda Sweeney, district youth officer with St John.
The ceremony also saw a new Badger enrolled into the sett and others receive a variety of awards.