Sunshine, smiles and cakes galore at Cromer Carnival opening weekend
- Credit: Archant
Cromer Carnival's opening weekend got off to a glorious start, with blue skies, sunshine and smiles all round.
Crowds in their hundreds turned out to the carnival field, with a giant car boot sale doing a brisk trade and food and drink stands serving queues of customers throughout the day.
Attractions included a funfair, stalls, a mini beer festival and a craft fair, with the main arena hosting a dog agility display from Norfolk Dog Training Society and a demonstration and novelty dog show run by Holt Dog Training Club.
A bake-off competition organised for the third year running by carnival committee members Julie Brooks and Luke Evans attracted creative confections ranging from beefburger cupcakes and a summer barbecue sponge, to a celebration cake depicting the Red Arrows flying over Cromer, with carnival-goers also invited to bring along their family heirlooms to be valued at an Antiques Roadshow-style stall run by Keys of Aylsham.
The fun continued into the evening with a family night in the carnival marquee, featuring music, magic and a chance for youngsters to have their picture taken with characters from the TV show Paw Patrol.
You may also want to watch:
Carnival committee member and official photographer Dave Roberts, who has been involved in the annual event for 20 years, said the fine weather had attracted record crowds.
'It was definitely the most people I've ever seen on a carnival Saturday,' he said. 'It was a nice bright start and we are now all looking forward to the rest of the week.'
- 1 Woman injured by jars of sauce thrown in Sainsbury's
- 2 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 3 Indian variant Covid cases in Norfolk 'cause to be cautious'
- 4 Norfolk farmhouse with indoor pool for sale by online auction
- 5 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
- 6 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 7 Wanted Norwich man arrested in north Norfolk village
- 8 Man exposed himself to three teenage girls at Morrisons
- 9 City poised for Maddison cash boost
- 10 BBC Springwatch films at Norfolk nature haven - with beavers
Carnival field events on Sundayinclude bonny baby, glamorous granny and knobbly knees competitions, as well as a custom car show, a children's fancy dress competition and a motorbike and trike cavalcade show.
The crowning of Miss Cromer will take place on the pier forecourt at 12.30pm, with events around town including a gymkhana at Jonas field, East Runton, from 10am and an East Anglian Working Newfoundland Dogs display on the east beach at 11.30am.