Sundown Festival 2017: Norfolk singer/songwriter John Galea who battled cancer will perform on the main stage
- Credit: LMD Photography
Singer/songwriter John Galea will be joining some of the biggest names in music when he steps onto the main stage at the Sundown Festival in Norwich.
Mr Galea, who divides his time between his family home in Caister and London, is the latest addition to line-up which also features Craig David and Rag 'n' Bone Man.
The independent artist who has forged a successful career in his own right as well as writing for other people said he was delighted to be playing to a home crowd after some years, tagging the Sundown Festival, staged at the Norfolk Showground as 'a fantastic platform'.
Mr Galea, who has supported McFly and more recently Boyzlife, has worked with top producers and writers, and is fresh from his performance on the main stage at London Pride.
A classically trained pianist, he started songwriting as child after winning a national songwriting award.
His success is all the more remarkable given his battle with cancer as a teenager.
Reaching his 30th milestone this year was also a chance to mark ten years in remission with no further health problems.
- 1 Four vehicles, including lorry, involved in 'serious crash' on A1067
- 2 'Torrid time' as insurance giant Marsh quits city centre
- 3 Motorcyclist in 30s dies in three-vehicle crash on A146
- 4 Man dies after getting into difficulties in UEA Sportspark pool
- 5 First look at the new Scandi-style homes coming to a Breckland village
- 6 Family pub and restaurant opens outdoor pool to cold water swimmers
- 7 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 8 Serial beggar jailed for 12 weeks after breaching Criminal Behaviour Order
- 9 Schools in Norfolk face classroom closures due to coronavirus
- 10 Tribute paid to much-loved dad who died in cycling accident
He said that making it in the music business was hard work, adding that he was fortunate to be able to forge a living from doing what he loved.
Highlights include scoring a number one in Malta and writing for artist Lao Ra for her debut EP Jesus Made Me Bad.
He has just finished a small UK tour and has released four independent EPs.
His latest called Missing Pages featured the single When You Truly Love Someone which hit the top 10 in the commercial charts after featuring celebrity Gemma Oaten in the music video.
It has harnessed more than a million views on his VeVo channel.
He describes his style of music as piano/pop.
Sundown takes place from September 1-3. Headline acts also include Pendulum, You Me At Six, and X Factor winner Louise Johnson.
The music extravaganza attracted some 40,000 people last year and the 2017 festival is set to be 'bigger and better than ever' according to organisers, with the addition of two new stages, bringing the total to five.
He is performing on the main stage of the festival at 1pm on September 2.