Summer of Swimming campaign - Why not swim for 10p this weekend as Dereham Leisure Centre celebrates 10 year anniversary?
- Credit: Archant
Dereham Leisure Centre celebrates its tenth anniversary this weekend and to mark the occasion they are offering people to swim or use the gym for just 10p.
Breckland Council is teaming up with Parkwood Leisure, the organisation which operates the leisure centre on the council's behalf, to offer the discounted access.
They hope the offer will entice people to visit and try out the facilities during the anniversary celebrations, whether they are one of the many regular users or a first time visitor.
As part of their celebrations Dereham's mayor, Phillip Duigan, also picked out one of their members at random who has maintained her membership since 2007 and rewarded her with a year free.
Winner Sarah Haverson said: 'Since being a member I have raised money for Aspire charity by completing their cross channel swim challenge, swimming the equivalent distance of 22 miles over 12-weeks.'
You may also want to watch:
When the £8 million sports centre was opened in 2007 by Olympic medallist Sharron Davies, MBE it quickly became a landmark in the town, offering state-of-the-art facilities from a gala-sized swimming pool, to the latest gym equipment.
Since then it has recorded over three million visits, including over one millions swimmers who have attended over 470,000 swimming lessons. The centre operates 106 classes a week catering for all ages and abilities.
- 1 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 2 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 3 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 4 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 5 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 6 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 7 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 8 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 9 Police appeal for witnesses after pedestrian struck by car on A47
- 10 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers
Paul Young, general manager of Parkwood community leisure centre, said: 'We've grown a lot through word of mouth and we've got a lot of clubs in the facility. From a swimming perspective the number of casual swimmers has gone up which actually goes against national trend.'
Members of the public will be able to make use of the 10p offer on both Saturday and Sunday, May 13 and 14, between 8am-6pm for gym access and during timetabled public or family swim sessions.
For timetable details, go to: http://www.leisurecentre.com/dereham-leisure-centre/TimeTable
The EDP is running a Summer of Swimming campaign, encouraging people across the region to take up swimming amid concerns that participation is falling.
If you have a story that would fit with our Summer of Swimming campaign, Email firstname.lastname@example.org
How the leisure centre has developed over ten years
Dereham has embraced the state of the art facility when it opened in 2007 and its popularity in the community has been growing ever since. Here are some key facts:
• Dereham Leisure Centre has recorded over three million visits – including over one million swim visits and over 470,000 swimming lesson attendances.
• Usage of the leisure centre has consistently risen, year on year.
• In the past 12 months the leisure centre recorded its highest annual admissions to date, around 383,500. This is a 76% increase on the 217,500 visits recorded in its first year.
• There were also over 127,000 visits to the swimming pool and 55,533 swimming lesson attendances. The centre operates swim lessons as part of its Swim England accredited Aquazone programme, with 106 classes a week catering for all ages and abilities.
• The past year also saw 30,720 visits to exercise classes.