‘Our commitment is clear for young carers in our school’: Joy at special recognition
- Credit: Archant
A school was celebrating a 'really important and symbolic day' after achieving a special award.
Staff and young carers at Northfield St Nicholas Primary Academy were all smiles after they were honoured with the Suffolk Young Carers Bronze Award.
Mrs Terri Freeman, deputy headteacher at the academy in St Margarets Road, Lowestoft and Ms Parker, family support worker have worked closely with Katie Meadows, adviser for Suffolk Young Carers, since September 2018, to identify and recognise young carers who attend the school and put things in place to support their mental health and well-being as well as giving them a safe space to talk things through.
Year 6 pupil Alfie said: 'I like the heart cookies that we get at lunch club and all the activities we get to experience.'
Year 4 pupil Jack added: 'I now have friends that understand me!'.
You may also want to watch:
Iain Owens, Headteacher, said: 'We are an inclusive and supportive school, who recognise that children have different experiences and that they require different types of help and support.
'Children should not feel disadvantaged and our commitment is clear for young carers in our school, in our community and local area.'
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 3 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 4 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 5 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 6 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 7 Air ambulance and coastguard attend incident on Sheringham beachfront
- 8 Brown Derbies and Bender sausages, when Wimpy ruled fast food
- 9 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 10 Woman who died in A47 collision named
The school is now well on its way to securing Silver accreditation and Mrs Freeman and Ms Parker said that they would not stop until they achieved Gold – with every hope that Northfield becomes nationally recognised over the next two years.