Suffolk Wildlife Trust begins barn owl nest box broadcast at Redgrave and Lopham Fen
Internet users have been granted unprecedented access to a pair of barn owls after a nature reserve began broadcasting footage from a nest box.
Suffolk Wildlife Trust has started a live stream from the web camera that was installed in a box at Redgrave and Lopham Fen nature reserve, near Diss, earlier this year.
The pair are incubating two eggs and wildlife trust staff hope to be witnessing the hatching of chicks in the near future.
The owls, who have been named Mr and Mrs P, after the trust's resident barn owl expert Steve Piotrowski, raised four chicks from the box last year.
The camera is only the size of a matchbox and was carefully installed before the owls began to use the box, said Kerry Stranix, Suffolk Wildlife Trust communications manager.
You may also want to watch:
She added: 'The barn owl is such an iconic Suffolk species, and while you may be lucky enough to spot one out hunting it is a real treat to view the goings on inside the nest box. We've had the camera running for a couple of weeks now and my colleagues and I are hooked. I have had great fun watching it with my family in the evening, we have seen the owls feeding, preening and even mating.'
The camera was installed by a company called Wildlife Whisperer - Simon King's new website, which has an Ipswich base.
- 1 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 2 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 3 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 Driver stopped by police - 20 minutes after being given court ban
- 6 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 7 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 8 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 9 Two men charged with murder of 23-year-old
- 10 Two women injured in serious crash which closed road
The online stream can be viewed at www.ispyabarnowl.tumblr.com