Suffolk Wildlife Trust begins barn owl nest box broadcast at Redgrave and Lopham Fen
Internet users have been granted unprecedented access to a pair of barn owls after a nature reserve began broadcasting footage from a nest box.
Suffolk Wildlife Trust has started a live stream from the web camera that was installed in a box at Redgrave and Lopham Fen nature reserve, near Diss, earlier this year.
The pair are incubating two eggs and wildlife trust staff hope to be witnessing the hatching of chicks in the near future.
The owls, who have been named Mr and Mrs P, after the trust's resident barn owl expert Steve Piotrowski, raised four chicks from the box last year.
The camera is only the size of a matchbox and was carefully installed before the owls began to use the box, said Kerry Stranix, Suffolk Wildlife Trust communications manager.
She added: 'The barn owl is such an iconic Suffolk species, and while you may be lucky enough to spot one out hunting it is a real treat to view the goings on inside the nest box. We've had the camera running for a couple of weeks now and my colleagues and I are hooked. I have had great fun watching it with my family in the evening, we have seen the owls feeding, preening and even mating.'
The camera was installed by a company called Wildlife Whisperer - Simon King's new website, which has an Ipswich base.
- 1 Man charged with murder of 19-year-old daughter
- 2 Four Norfolk gastropubs named among best in UK
- 3 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 4 'Heartbreaking' - Vandals force landmark church to close after damage spree
- 5 Two men charged with murder after death in Downham Market
- 6 Woman 'shocked' after brick thrown through living-room window
- 7 Toddler died after getting trapped between stair gates
- 8 Hospital worker set for £60,000 payout after raising 'bullying' concerns
- 9 Revealed: No one has paid £10,000 fines issued for breaking Covid rules
- 10 Fire at farm near Taverham being treated as arson
The online stream can be viewed at www.ispyabarnowl.tumblr.com