‘I never thought this would be possible’ - Suffolk slimmer to run London Marathon after losing 11st
- Credit: Slimming World/Giles Macrow
A slimmer from Suffolk is set to take on a marathon after shedding 11st 7lbs with Slimming World.
At his heaviest, Giles Macrow from Newmarket, suffered with high blood pressure, sleep apnoea and breathlessness, but after joining his local Slimming World group and turning his life around, the 50-year-old is now set to run the London Marathon.
Mr Macrow joined the weight loss group in 2015, weighing 24st 9lbs and this year is taking on the 26.2 mile course as part of the Slimming World national team.
He said: 'Never before had I wanted to run and I hated sport at school but after losing weight I soon became full of energy!
'In the last two years I've really found a passion for running and I can't believe I'm now going to be running the big one this year - my dream - the London Marathon! To get a place in the Slimming World team is just the best possible reward for me.'
You may also want to watch:
After joining Slimming World, Mr Macrow swapped his diet of chips and takeaways for healthy eating and as the weight dropped off he became more active.
'I started off small and build up my distances very gradually until running further and further became easier. There's no way I'd have lost 11st or be running the marathon without the support of my group. They are the ones who have kept me on track each week,' he said.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 3 Two people arrested during police operation in south Norfolk
- 4 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 5 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 6 'A lovely talented man': Tributes to Cromer Pier Show headliner Phil Butler
- 7 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 8 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 9 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
- 10 Banham Poultry taken over by owner of Bernard Matthews and 2 Sisters
He has since completed several half marathons and is looking forward to running his first marathon for Cancer Research UK, a charity close to his heart, as his wife is a palliative care nurse for cancer patients.
He added: 'Before Slimming World I never thought this would be possible for me at age 50! I'm so much happier and healthier and by losing weight I know I've reduced my chances of developing a range of health problems.'
• Do you have an incredible weight loss story? Email firstname.lastname@example.org