Suffolk doctor guilty of making ‘lewd and rude’ phone calls to care workers

Bury St Edmunds Magistrates' Court

Bury St Edmunds Magistrates' Court - Credit: Archant

A doctor who bombarded female care workers with 20 'lewd' drunken phone calls in just over an hour could be given a restraining order.

A doctor who bombarded female care workers with 20 'lewd' drunken phone calls in just over an hour could be given a restraining order.

Magistrates convicted Nadir Omara, 48, of Sapling Place, Rushmere St Andrew, of two counts of making 'distressing' phone calls to staff at the Abbeycare addiction treatment centre near Newmarket.

The consultant psychiatrist denied the charges of sending indecent communications, claiming he was ill and was ringing for assistance.

'It's a difficult thing for a man to accept that in drink he's made lewd, rude phone calls to women for his own gratification,' said prosecutor Carol Huston.

Bury St Edmunds Magistrates' Court heard yesterday Omara's mobile dialled the Abbeycare Foundation, in Kentford, 20 times between 1.20am and 2.34am on November 13 last year, with a female member of staff cutting him off after the initial 'upsetting calls'.

Mrs Huston described Omara's actions as 'out of character' and said he was a man who had made a mistake.

Most Read

'But makes a mistake that's upset two women who work in a care system and spend their time trying to help people, who would have received this dirty phone call from the defendant for his own gratification,' she said.

Magistrates told Omara he was not a credible witness and his explanation that he was calling to check if they had medication was not convincing.

Omara, who worked at Abbeycare and had also worked at the Bury-based addiction rehabilitation charity Focus12, claimed he had bought a bottle of whiskey on his way home to celebrate his anniversary.

After his wife went to bed, he said he began watching the film American Hustle and had 'four or five' double whiskies.

He told the court he had previous health problems and had previously been treated for gastritis.

Saying he fell asleep and woke up feeling ill, he then told magistrates he tried to ring Abbeycare to see if they had antihistamines he could take.

However Mrs Huston rubbished the claim, asking why he had not gone upstairs to wake his wife and then gone to a 24-hour pharmacy to get medication.

'Both of these ladies had absolutely no axe to grind with this defendant,' she said, adding one of them had spoken positively of her working relationship with Omara until the incident.

She said the first care worker who answered the phone was made to feel 'unsafe and upset' by the 'sexually implicit' nature of the questions Omara was asking her.

Sentencing was adjourned until February 17 for a pre-sentencing report and Mrs Huston said she would be making an application for a restraining order on Omara, who was of previous good character.

Omara's bail conditions prohibit him from contacting the care workers or going to Abbeycare.