Suffolk County Council leader Mark Bee dispels Paddock House care home fears at Eye
Fears that Paddock House care home in Eye could be closed have been dispelled in a letter from council leader Mark Bee to local MP Dan Poulter.
Dr Poulter contacted Mr Bee after hearing from relatives of Paddock House relatives that they feared it could shut as early as April as the county looks to reduce its budget.
The council leader's letter said: 'During the public consultation into the future of the care homes, Suffolk County Council reiterated its commitment to keep Paddock House open until such time as NHS Suffolk has secured the redevelopment of land at Hartismere Hospital, which includes the possibility of a new private care home.'
If that is built, Paddock House would become redundant and the current NHS contract with the home would transfer to the new development – council officers talking to potential operators have made this point clear.
Dr Poulter welcomed the assurance. He said: 'Paddock House is a vital community facility which has a strong focus on providing holistic care for older patients recovering from operations or periods of acute illness, as well as patients with dementia.
You may also want to watch:
'One of the biggest healthcare challenges facing Suffolk is how to better look after our growing older population, and community resources such as Paddock House have a particularly important role to play in caring for residents in rural areas.
'I remain a great supporter of Paddock House. The staff do a fantastic job and I would like to praise Suffolk County Council leader Mark Bee for making the commitment to protect this vital community asset for the foreseeable future.'
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault