Students who met through UEA’s Headlights comedy society to perform at Edinburgh Fringe Festival
Six students who met through the University of East Anglia's Headlights comedy society are taking a show to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival this summer.
Their show, entitled Beast Of The East: Free Comedy Showcase, is a sketch and stand-up showcase.
Starring Robert Turner, Charlie Tarran, Luis Forte, Eleanor Overvoorde, Scott Mills and Neal Goldsmith, the show will be performed over five days in the basement of The Phoenix bar in the Scottish capital.
Although the show is not officially a Headlights show, all of the acts met through the society and are hoping to demonstrate the comedy talent that the UEA has to offer. Luis, 21, from Lowestoft, will be the president of Headlights next year, which will be his final year studying a post-graduate environmental science degree.
He said: 'We wanted to give the show a sense of mystery by using the Beast of the East name, and we wanted to make it clear where we are from.
'The whole show is based on a circus theme and will be presented by a ringmaster, who will be the compere for the whole show.
'We have got a pretentious clown, a mundane lion and a few of us doing stand-up who will do anything to get a laugh.'
- 1 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 2 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed
- 3 Man arrested after passenger dies in Old Buckenham crash
- 4 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 5 Norwich man sentenced to life imprisonment after murder conviction
- 6 Plumber's plan for 'enormous' garage in his back garden rejected
- 7 Police hunting for Norwich man wanted for three weeks
- 8 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
- 9 Man charged with drink driving after crash at police station
- 10 Manchester City owner eyes Norfolk horse racing enterprise
The group are putting on a preview show in Norwich as they work towards nailing down their final show.
This will be at Olives cafe, in Elm Hill, from 8pm on Friday, June 8, which will raise funds for the group's trip to Edinburgh.
They will be hoping to follow in the footsteps of two famous former UEA students, Paul Whitehouse and Charlie Higson, who went on to find fame through The Fast Show after meeting at the UEA. Luis continued: 'Headlights is open to everyone at the UEA so that people can learn and it can act as a springboard for some people and some can go on to do really well. We all met through Headlights and it has given us the opportunity to try out improv [improvisation] stand-up and sketch shows.'
The 55-minute showcase will be performed at noon each day between Monday, August 13 and Friday, August 17. For further details, go to www.laughinghorsecomedy.co.uk/edinburgh/show.asp?ShowID=1095
To see some of the current crop of Headlights comedians in action, go to www.youtube.com/user/ UEAHeadlights
- Have you got a special performance coming up? Contact Local Life editor David Freezer on 01603 772418 or firstname.lastname@example.org