Student thanked for 'thoughtful offer' to cut Boris Johnson's hair
- Credit: PA
A 19-year-old student hairdresser has received a letter from 10 Downing Street, thanking him for his "thoughtful offer" to cut Boris Johnson's hair.
Jack Jenkins, who has been studying level two hair at West Suffolk College, in Bury St Edmunds, said it had been a difficult year for young hairdressers who were unable to practice during lockdown.
Mr Jenkins, from Thetford, is in his final year and is hoping to return to college so he can complete his exams in June - if the government's “roadmap” out of lockdown goes to plan.
He said: “It has been a tough year and it has definitely knocked my confidence because although I can practice at home, it's difficult to know whether I'm doing it correctly.
“I have not been able to do practical work on people for a while, other than my mum.
You may also want to watch:
“But as soon as I go back to college, I will need models and a friend suggested that I write to Boris Johnson to ask if I could cut his hair.
“So, Mum and I composed a letter a couple of weeks ago and I didn’t think we would hear anything back, but three days ago a letter came through the door and it was from Downing Street.
- 1 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 2 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 3 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 4 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 5 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 6 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 7 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 8 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 9 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 10 Norfolk Day 2021: Your must-have guide to all events
“I was shocked, I was not expecting it at all.”
In a letter from Downing Street sent on behalf of Boris Johnson, signed by Mandy Godridge, it wrote: “I am writing to thank you for your letter of 1 February to the Prime Minister.
“He is currently fully occupied in leading the country’s response to the coronavirus, so has asked me to reply on his behalf.
“The Prime Minister greatly appreciates your kind words of support and thoughtful offer to cut his hair.
“I am sure once restrictions are lifted you will have no shortage of models to practice on."
Despite no definite answer, Mr Jenkins said he was still hopeful that Mr Johnson would one day take him up on the offer.
He added: “I would probably just give him a good shave on the sides and a trim on the top.”