Strong winds put Norfolk and Suffolk beach users at risk
The coastguard service has issued a stark warning to beach users - urging them not to use inflatable toys or dinghies in today's strong winds.
Great Yarmouth Coastguard said the forecasted conditions for today (Sunday, August 7) and tomorrow (Monday, August 8) will make playing with inflatable toys, airbeds and dinghies on Noroflk and Suffolk's beaches extremely dangerous.
Inflatables are easily swept out to sea - putting the occupants at risk of being overturned in the deeper, rougher water further offshore.
A spokesman for the service said: 'This will disorientate the person onboard and put them in a position that they are likely to drown before rescue services are able to get to them
'If you are going to the beach today do not use such devices on the sea.
You may also want to watch:
'Also, when a child goes missing on the beach or foreshore, if there is any likelihood of that child being in the sea or any dangerous area. Do not hesitate to dial 999 and ask for the coastguard.'
The warning comes after a 32-year-old man and a 13-year-old boy had to be rescued by Caister Lifeboat after getting into difficulties in a dinghy off Caister beach at about 10.30am this morning.
- 1 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 2 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 3 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 4 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 5 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 6 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 7 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 8 Jailed this week: Abuse, assaults and burglaries
- 9 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
Crewman Alex Low said the father and son, who were on holiday from Hertfordshire, needed to be towed after they found themselves about a mile offshore fighting against strong wind and powerful tide.