Strictly Come Dancing 2016: Norwich City chairman Ed Balls survives Blackpool week as athlete Greg Rutherford bows out
- Credit: PA
Olympic long jumper Greg Rutherford has left Strictly Coming Dancing - but Ed Balls has survived Blackpool week and will go on to dance again.
Rutherford said it is 'horrible' to be bowing out of Strictly Come Dancing, after he became the ninth celebrity to leave the show.
He and his professional partner Natalie Lowe ended up in the dance off alongside gymnast Claudia Fragapane and her partner AJ Pritchard, but the judges opted to save Fragapane.
The champion sportsman and Lowe performed a quickstep at the Blackpool spectacular that earned them a score of 32 points.
The anticipated Blackpool performances saw actor Danny Mac score the first 40 of the series for a 'showstopper' charleston.
You may also want to watch:
However, it was former shadow chancellor Ed Balls who stole the show as he was lowered from the Blackpool Winter Gardens Tower Ballroom ceiling playing a piano before taking to the dance floor to jive with Katya Jones to the Jerry Lee Lewis hit Great Balls Of Fire.
Balls and his styled quiff earned a score of just 23 points, leaving them lingering at the bottom of the leaderboard once again.
- 1 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 2 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
- 3 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 4 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 5 Former car showroom could make way for 146 student flats
- 6 Man exposed himself to three teenage girls at Morrisons
- 7 BBC Springwatch films at Norfolk nature haven - with beavers
- 8 'Vulnerable' Norfolk man missing from home
- 9 Wanted Norwich man arrested in north Norfolk village
- 10 'This is nature' - Sadness as cathedral peregrine chick dies
Joint second on the leaderboard were former singer Louise Redknapp and partner Kevin Clifton and BBC sports presenter Ore Oduba with professional dancer Joanne Clifton who scored 38 apiece.
The results show included performances by singer Rick Astley and Simple Minds.
The remaining six couples will face a new challenge next weekend when they return to the dance floor to tackle the Cha Cha Challenge, which will see them all performing a cha cha at the same time in the hope of earning extra points from the judges.
• Strictly Come Dancing returns on November 26 at 7pm