Street light to be installed in Narborough
- Credit: Submitted
Pupils will soon have a well-lit and safer journey to their Breckland school, following approval of a £863 match-funding grant to enable a streetlight to be re-instated.
A new light will be installed at the eastern end of Narborough, near Swaffham, after Peter Wilkinson, Breckland Council ward member, worked closely with the parish council to re-instate the facility.
Mr Wilkinson said: 'The former streetlight was removed several years ago and residents have been fearful of using the road in the winter months ever since.
'It is a fast and busy road, used by many village families walking to and from the school every day. A disabled resident also uses this route regularly so this is very welcome news for the village.'
Narborough Parish Council will provide the remaining £864 for the light near Swaffham Road,
Alan Brinsdon, chairman of Narborough Parish Council, said: 'We have been aware of residents' concerns for many years, but were not eligible for funding from our usual sources.
'I am delighted that our application has been approved in time for the approach of winter, and we hope that the new streetlight will be in place by the end of November.'
- 1 Four vehicles, including lorry, involved in 'serious crash' on A1067
- 2 'Torrid time' as insurance giant Marsh quits city centre
- 3 Motorcyclist in 30s dies in three-vehicle crash on A146
- 4 Man dies after getting into difficulties in UEA Sportspark pool
- 5 First look at the new Scandi-style homes coming to a Breckland village
- 6 Family pub and restaurant opens outdoor pool to cold water swimmers
- 7 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 8 Serial beggar jailed for 12 weeks after breaching Criminal Behaviour Order
- 9 Schools in Norfolk face classroom closures due to coronavirus
- 10 Tribute paid to much-loved dad who died in cycling accident
Breckland grant funding cannot normally be used for street lighting but members agreed that this is an exceptional case.
The new LED streetlight will be at the eastern end of the village, near to Swaffham Road.
Small match-funding grants of up to £5,000 to cover a maximum of 50pc of the total project cost are available for voluntary and community groups, schools, and town and parish councils.
For more information, and to apply, contact the Norfolk Community Foundation who administer the fund on Breckland's behalf by calling 01603 623958, emailing email@example.com or visiting www.norfolkfoundation.com/funds/breckland-council-community-funding