Stars of Norfolk and Waveney: A look back at one of last year's winners
- Credit: Simon Finlay Photography
Nominations are well underway for this year's Stars of Norfolk and Waveney Awards.
Today, we take a look back at the youngest winner of last year's awards, Jacob Gravestock.
Winning over the judges' hearts with his care and dedication towards his granddad who is battling cancer, Jacob took home the Judges’ Special Award, sponsored by Hopestead, and was a finalist for the Young Person of the Year, whilst proudly wearing his Blue Peter badge.
At seven, Jacob walked, scooted and cycled 188 miles in 70 days all in the name of his beloved granddad who was diagnosed with terminal cancer just before lockdown.
Speaking ahead of his challenge back in 2020, Jacob said he wanted to raise money for the day unit at the hospital because the staff there helped him "make more memories" with his grandad, who he said "has been very brave and strong and loves me lots".
He raised over £2,000 for the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital’s Cancer Care Centre, as staff there are helping to look after his granddad, Colin Clarke, who is stable and exceeding his diagnosis.
Jacob's mum Danielle Gravestock, said: "Myself and Jacob's dad Anthony were really really proud of him and it was wonderful to see how much pride he had in himself.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 3 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 4 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 5 Man who died in Old Buckenham crash named
- 6 'This affects everyone' - Erosion strikes Hemsby again
- 7 'My life has been plagued by fly-tipping for a year - I need it to stop'
- 8 Arrests after woman held hostage in home containing drugs and samurai sword
- 9 Tributes to 'kind and caring' Norwich man with a love of chess and walking
- 10 Countryfile to highlight controversial Norfolk road scheme
"He made a huge positive impact on my dad who has been going through quite aggressive chemotherapy treatment and is so proud of him.
"He had his trophy on a little shelf in his bedroom and he is so proud when anyone comes round to show it off. It's been incredible."
The judges said: “What a determined, dedicated and thoughtful member of our community.
“Jacob has a big heart and is always thinking of others. He bought gifts and raised spirits during Covid-19 and sacrificed his Christmas presents to help those in need.”
Do you know a community star who should be celebrated at this year's Star of Norfolk and Waveney Awards? Nominate them to be in with a chance of winning by filling in the form either below or attached in the paper to nominate your stars.
Entries close on Thursday, November 7 and the finalists will be announced on Tuesday, November 23.
Keep up to date with all the latest news from the Hopkins Homes-sponsored Stars of Norfolk and Waveney Awards 2021 at www.edp24.co.uk/stars.