Stage-struck hopefuls aim to prove that Dereham’s got talent
Has Dereham got young talent? Yes, it has!
And to prove it, more than 20 wannabe winners have entered a young entertainers' competition that will form part of Dereham Festival 2012.
Dereham's Got Talent! has attracted acts including dancers in various styles, solo singers and duets, gymnasts, a comedian, instrumentalists and a concert pianist.
Festival chairman Jim Stebbings said the age range of the contestants was 10 to 18, and they had been drawn from not only Dereham but Watton and various mid-Norfolk villages, as well as Robertson Barracks at Swanton Morley – home of the Light Dragoons.
He added: 'I am very pleased with the response we've had, especially the variety of things that the contestants can do.
You may also want to watch:
'I think it should be an important part of any festival of this kind to have something for all age groups. Dereham's Got Talent! was targeted deliberately to include the younger people of the area.'
Six judges watched the hopefuls performing at a selection heat last night.
- 1 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 2 Former car showroom could make way for 146 student flats
- 3 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 4 Former pubs, schools and leisure centres among arson-hit sites
- 5 'This is nature' - Sadness as cathedral peregrine chick dies
- 6 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 7 Why teacher was right to report Confederate flag to police
- 8 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 9 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 10 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
Mr Stebbings said the aim was to choose about a dozen acts from the 23 hopefuls to appear at the grand final, taking place on Friday, June 15 at Dereham Memorial Hall.
He said the selection process would last a few days and the finalists would be announced later.
'I must say that the quality was fantastic and they were very entertaining,' Mr Stebbings added.
Dereham Festival starts on Saturday, May 19 and runs until Saturday, June 16. Copies of the full programme are now available widely in the town and at www.derehamfestival.org.uk. The festival box office can be contacted on 07780 769606.