Remember, remember first aid in November - St John Ambulance issues advice for Bonfire Night celebrations
- Credit: Archant
Leading first aid charity St John Ambulance is urging everyone to learn some basic first aid skills ahead of the Bonfire Night celebrations.
St John Ambulance volunteers will be attending a number of firework events across Suffolk so that anyone who needs first aid gets it quickly.
However, injuries are much more likely to occur at private parties, where trained volunteers won't be on hand to help.
Antony Glyptis, training delivery manager for St John Ambulance in the charity's east region, said: 'Every year, our highly-skilled volunteers are asked to provide first aid cover for members of the public who want to celebrate Bonfire Night at major events in their communities.
'Attendees at these events can be reassured that help is on hand if they need it. However, we also want to provide families having bonfire parties at home with a few handy tips so that they can deal with minor injuries should they unfortunately occur.'
You may also want to watch:
Firework First Aid advice
- 1 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 2 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 3 Ford and Jaguar crash in second incident near village in same night
- 4 Jailed this week: Primark brawl, attempted murder and abuse
- 5 Road closed after crash involving car and two tractors
- 6 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 7 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 8 Three cars crash and two end up in ditches on rural road
- 9 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 10 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
If someone's got a burn or scald – Move the person away from the heat; place the burn or scald under cool running water for 10 minutes minimum; if the burn is to a child, larger than your hand, on the face, hands or feet, or is a deep burn, call 999; remove jewellery and clothing around the area, unless stuck to the burn; cover the burn loosely, lengthways with kitchen film to prevent infection; don't burst blisters; monitor and treat for shock if necessary and tell them to seek medical advice.
If someone's got something in their eye - Tell them not to rub it, so they don't make it worse; pour clean water over their eye to wash out what's in there and/or to cool the burn; if this doesn't work, try to lift the debris out with a damp corner of a clean tissue; if this doesn't work either, don't touch anything that's stuck in their eye – cover it with a clean dressing or non-fluffy material; then take or send them straight to hospital.
If someone's inhaled smoke fumes – Move them away from the smoke so they can breathe in some fresh air; help them sit down in a comfortable position and loosen any tight clothing around their neck to help them breathe normally and if they don't recover quickly, call 999 for an ambulance.
Visit www.sja.org.uk for further advice. For more information about first aid courses call 0844 770 4800.