Remember, remember first aid in November - St John Ambulance issues advice for Bonfire Night celebrations

PUBLISHED: 12:00 02 November 2018

St John Ambulance in the charity's east region have issued some first aid advice for Bonfire Night celebrations. Picture: St John Ambulance

St John Ambulance in the charity's east region have issued some first aid advice for Bonfire Night celebrations. Picture: St John Ambulance


Leading first aid charity St John Ambulance is urging everyone to learn some basic first aid skills ahead of the Bonfire Night celebrations.

St John Ambulance volunteers will be attending a number of firework events across Suffolk so that anyone who needs first aid gets it quickly.

However, injuries are much more likely to occur at private parties, where trained volunteers won’t be on hand to help.

Antony Glyptis, training delivery manager for St John Ambulance in the charity’s east region, said: “Every year, our highly-skilled volunteers are asked to provide first aid cover for members of the public who want to celebrate Bonfire Night at major events in their communities.

“Attendees at these events can be reassured that help is on hand if they need it. However, we also want to provide families having bonfire parties at home with a few handy tips so that they can deal with minor injuries should they unfortunately occur.”

Firework First Aid advice

If someone’s got a burn or scald – Move the person away from the heat; place the burn or scald under cool running water for 10 minutes minimum; if the burn is to a child, larger than your hand, on the face, hands or feet, or is a deep burn, call 999; remove jewellery and clothing around the area, unless stuck to the burn; cover the burn loosely, lengthways with kitchen film to prevent infection; don’t burst blisters; monitor and treat for shock if necessary and tell them to seek medical advice.

If someone’s got something in their eye - Tell them not to rub it, so they don’t make it worse; pour clean water over their eye to wash out what’s in there and/or to cool the burn; if this doesn’t work, try to lift the debris out with a damp corner of a clean tissue; if this doesn’t work either, don’t touch anything that’s stuck in their eye – cover it with a clean dressing or non-fluffy material; then take or send them straight to hospital.

If someone’s inhaled smoke fumes – Move them away from the smoke so they can breathe in some fresh air; help them sit down in a comfortable position and loosen any tight clothing around their neck to help them breathe normally and if they don’t recover quickly, call 999 for an ambulance.

Visit for further advice. For more information about first aid courses call 0844 770 4800.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press