Sporty residents boost visitors numbers at leisure centres in Cromer, North Walsham, Sheringham, Stalham and Fakenham
Sporty residents have been flocking to work out at leisure centres across north Norfolk and boosted visitor numbers to their highest level for six years.
More than 400,000 people visited council-run sports centres in Cromer, North Walsham, Sheringham, Stalham and Fakenham and took advantage of the mobile gym, which runs from various locations across the district.
A new low cost gym membership - that was introduced at the centres run by North Norfolk District Council (NNDC) - has been pinpointed as a contributing factor towards the rise in numbers.
Karl Read, leisure and cultural services manager at NNDC, said the 'no frills' membership, which costs �16.99 per month, had generated many new members.
'At Victory (Swim and Fitness in North Walsham) we have seen the visitors in the gym double since we have introduced this offer and this is in the backdrop of a difficult financial climate,' he added.
Mr Read said swimming had seen a massive drop in numbers nationally, but in north Norfolk people were still keen to take a dip - although boosting numbers remained 'a challenge'.
The numbers covered the period from April 2010 - March 2011 and showed there had been a 4.2pc increase in users, with Victory proving to be the most popular centre with a whopping 133,063 visitors.
- 1 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 2 Row erupts after dozens of trees aligning footpath chopped down
- 3 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 4 How Norfolk's current Covid figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 6 Christmas lights switch-on cancelled due to forecasted high winds
- 7 Freezing cold temperatures could see snow in parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 8 Winter Wonderland coming to park with ice slide, donkeys and reindeer
- 9 Fire crews tackle large barn blaze
- 10 Primary pupil sexually assaulted on way to school
The other centres recorded the following numbers:
? Splash Leisure and Fitness Centre, Sheringham - 127,905
? Fakenham Sports and Fitness Centre - 65,175
? Community Sports Centres; Stalham - 22,477, Cromer - 20,930, North Walsham - 20,308
? Mobile gym - 5,065