Sports centre in King’s Lynn evacuated after fire breaks out
- Credit: Ian Burt
More than 100 people have been evacuated from a leisure centre this evening after a fire broke out.
The incident happened at Lynnsport, on Greenpark Avenue, King's Lynn, at around 7.30pm - when a fire started in an electrical plant room.
Leisure-centre users were quickly evacuated, resulting in some people wearing just sports gear outside on an evening when temperatures dropped to two degrees Celsius.
Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service sent two crews from King's Lynn. They extinguished the fire using hose reels and breathing apparatus. The crews also used a thermal imaging camera to check for hotspots.
Ian Burt, an EDP photographer, arrived at the leisure centre for a game of squash shortly after the fire broke out.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'When I got there the place was evacuated.
'Some children were standing outside wrapped in silver foil to keep them warm.
- 1 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 2 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 3 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 4 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 5 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 6 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 7 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 8 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 9 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 10 Jailed this week: Abuse, assaults and burglaries
'Some people must have been freezing.'
Shortly afterwards some people were allowed back into the leisure centre to collect their possessions.
No one is believed to have been injured. The cause of the fire has not yet been confirmed.