Spooky season launches Pop Up People’s Theatre in North Walsham
- Credit: Archant
Regular theatre is making a comeback in North Walsham with a season of shows in a new pop up theatre initiative.
It will be run by a group of volunteers with New Stages, who currently run North Norfolk Youth Theatre, North Walsham People's Choir and the town's adult acting classes.
The function room of the Black Swan in Black Swan Loke will be transformed into a temporary theatre from October to December.
The theatre will launch on Sunday, October 22 with a 'spooky season' which will include theatre shows from the People's Theatre Company in the form of Jack the Ripper: a radio play, a series of ghost stories with North Norfolk Youth Theatre called The House and the Infamous Covert Cabaret night of song and comedy. The popular ghost walks around the town centre will also return to help with promotions and raise funds for the theatre programme.
Joseph Ballard, director of New Stages and the Pop Up People's Theatre, said: 'The Pop Up Theatre is all about presenting shows for North Walsham and the surrounding area - always ensuring a welcoming and friendly atmosphere and top shows that will be made in North Walsham for North Walsham.
You may also want to watch:
'It's great to be presenting home-grown live theatre in the town, which is something I have championed for a few years with different shows and events. 'This is a really exciting opportunity for the community to get involved and support us, to ensure that North Walsham is known for good things to attract visitors, entertain locals and start building the evening economy in the town centre.'
After the Halloween events, the Pop Up People's Theatre will keep going with Jack And The Beanstalk in December as they hail the return of Christmas pantomime. All the Halloween shows and the pantomime will be written and directed by Mr Ballard.
- 1 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 2 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 3 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 4 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 5 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 6 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 7 Hotel owner on directing The Only Way is Essex stars in Norfolk
- 8 'It's a blow for the community' - Day centre closes after 43 years
- 9 9 long walking trails to explore in Norfolk
- 10 Residents' anger at Deliveroo motorcycle drivers using pavement shortcut
The Black Swan has partnered with New Stages to bring the theatre to life and the Showcase Gallery, long supporters of past productions, will continue to act as their town centre box-office. Tickets can be bought in person from the gallery, online or by calling 01692 404533.
More information at www.northwalshampeoplestheatre.org.uk