Spixworth social club heading in the ‘right direction’ after bumper anniversary weekend
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
The chairman of a struggling social club said they are 'heading in the right direction' after a successful 40th anniversary weekend.
Spixworth Social Club has served as a popular destination for generations of villagers since it opened in 1976 but a significant drop in earnings had left the future of the social club hanging in the balance.
There were real doubts as to whether the venue would survive for its 40th anniversary celebrations last weekend.
But the club did open its doors for the celebration and following a bumper weekend, chairman Neil Hastings insisted the future is looking brighter.
He said: 'It was a good weekend. It was very busy on Saturday and we had a really good turn out on Sunday as well - there was people dancing on the tables and all sorts.
'The till reflected that we had a good weekend which is the most important thing.'
He added: 'I think things are hopefully going to pick up a bit. 'We're noticing a few more people coming in during the week.
- 1 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 2 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 3 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 4 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 5 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 6 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 7 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 8 Vicar’s astonishing outburst against the Bishop in town's long-running row
- 9 Wrestler sheds five stone in one last bid to chase his American dream
- 10 Customers travelling across Norfolk to try pub's 'afternoon sea'
'There's encouraging signs. I don't want to jump the gun and say we've turned the corner but I think we're going in the right direction.'
But as well as hopefully attracting new members in the coming weeks, Mr Hastings said it was important existing members renewed.
There is plenty to look forward to at the Crostwick Lane club in the coming weeks, including live music with the band FireWire on December 17, a Christmas karaoke night on December 23 and a party night and DJ on New Year's Eve.
Visit www.spixworthsocialclub.co.uk for more information.
Are you battling to save a community venue? Emailpeter.firstname.lastname@example.org